Sunday, April 7, 2013

Buda Buda

Budapest has been the party place of the whole trip so far. One night we had a party on a boat, one day we played monopoly until the early hours of the morning and one night we had a party in the baths. 

The boat party was really good. There was good music, nice views and a free bottle of champagne each. We only really needed one bottle each but Chris decided to buy us another bottle each. This resulted in Ben having to be walked home by some friendly Aussies at the hostel. Me and Chris went to a club called Morrisons. We thought we were going to a supermarket but instead it was a trendy club. After about an hour and Chris not getting lucky we decided to head home. When we got to the hostel Ben was no where to be seen so I ended up pissing off all the hostel staff complaining that Ben was lost on the streets of Budapest. They all knew that Ben was somewhere in the hostel but I wouldn't believe them. We learned the next day that Ben had in fact passed out in the toilet for a few hours but he was alright. 

The next day we were obviously feeling worse for wear so in the end we just stayed in for most of the day playing guitar hero. We did get out of the hostel to go to the Terror House. It would have been a very good museum but none of us were in the mood at all. When we got back from the museum we just laid about for a bit. At about 8 we finally gathered enough energy to get out of the hostel once again. We decided to have a taste of Hungarian food at a classic Hungarian restaurant. Myles had a lamb steak and Chris and I had a meat platter. It was very tasty and filling. When we got back to the hostel we got out Monopoly and played a game with a few other guests at the hostel. Chris managed to come second but he sold the equivalent of Mayfair and Park Lane which cost him the win. We never realised different counties monopoly's would have different streets. 

Saturday was the day of the bath party. We had all been looking forward to it since when we had arrived in Budapest. It was going to be a cracking night. In the day we went on a free walking tour of the city. It was probably the best free tour we've been on so far. The tour guide seemed to absolutely adore Hungary. Hungary has had a very dark past. Once this had finished we headed back to the hostel. Chris and I were not feeling our best but we both still went to the party. We were going to a bar in one of the sister hostels. Chris and Myles got a drink but I didn't as I had just been sick in the toilets. Lovely. I still soldiered onto the baths as I wanted to see what it was like. I lasted about half an hour in the bath and headed back to the hostel. I don't need to go into details but I was ill and then went to bed. I've been ill twice in a week now. I'll get over it soon I hope. Back to the baths Myles and Chris had a quality night. They tell me it was very surreal and lots of things went on that I can't put down in this blog. When asked for a quote all Chris had to say was "It was pretty handy". This time when they arrived back at the hostel I was in bed already so Myles didn't need to worry about my whereabouts. On the way back from both nights Myles and Chris had the best kebab they have ever had. I'm not sure if it was just the alcohol or it genuinely was the best kebab ever. I guess I will never know. 

This morning we all went to a weird tea place. It was pretty cool. Really laid back. There were pillows on the floor which you sat on and had a lovely cup of tea. There were little passage you could crawl through and steps up to more areas. It was worth the visit. 

We then settled the bill at the hostel and said our goodbyes. Now we are on the train to Vienna to meet our host, Christian. We are there for three nights and then we go to Paris. We are coming to the last quarter of our trip. We will be back to see you again soon, don't worry. 

Ben, Myles and Chris

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben - your trip sounds amazing and makes me very jealous I didn't do something like that; just been to Paris because Martin ran the marathon and we've left you some good weather there. I've been to the baths in Budapest - I just remember them being really stinky but I didn't go at night so that's probably a whole different story! Thanks so much for taking the time to write, it's really interesting even though we can't experience it ourselves. Xxx

    ReplyDelete